Whole Spelt Oatmeal And Banana MuffinsFrom inmaculada 8 years ago
- Adapted from Baking in America shopping list
- 1 cup whole spelt flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup wheat or oat bran shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar or Splenda shopping list
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or Splenda shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 cup banana chips (or other dried fruits) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, slightly chopped (or quick cooking oats) shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk or yogurt (non-fat is OK) shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or apple sauce shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a muffin tin, or line with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, bran, sugars or Splenda, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in dried fruit and oats.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla and water.
- Add buttermilk mixture to oat mixture and stir until just combined. Let stand for 15-20 minutes. You may refrigerate the batter, covered, for about a week at this point.
- Spoon batter into prepared tins by heaping 1/4 cups (about 1/3 cup).
- Bake for 20 minutes, until muffins are golden brown and spring back when gently pressed. Add 5 minutes baking time if batter is cold.
- Garnish if desired.
- Makes 12 large muffins
- NOTE: if you want to boost banana flavor, just add 1/2 cup fresh mashed ripe bananas to the batter.