Jennifers Swiss Steak with a ZingFrom helewes 6 years ago
- 1-3/4 pounds boneless beef eye or bottom round steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 - 2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 3 cups hot cooked pasta or rice shopping list
- Your Choice... shopping list
- I use bowtie pasta and sometimes omit the pasta altogether and serve piping hot mashed potatoes instead.. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 325 degrees
- F. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Brown beef steaks.
- Pour off drippings.
- Season with salt, thyme and pepper.
- Sprinkle onion and jalapeno peppers on steaks.
- Add 1/4 cup water; bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and cook in 325 degrees F oven 45 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Continue cooking, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until steaks are fork-tender. Remove steaks; keep warm.
- Cook juices over high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- Cut steaks into serving-size pieces; place in sauce.
- Serve over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.