ChallahFrom chefjeb 7 years ago
- 3 packs or 8 tsp yeast shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 1`/2 cups warm water, divided use shopping list
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 tbs salt shopping list
- 5 eggs. divided use shopping list
- 8 or 9 cups flour shopping list
- poppy or sesame seeds shopping list
- raisins (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Makes 3 loaves
- Disolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water and proof.
- Combine sugar 2 cups water, oil and salt. Blend well.
- Add 4 eggs and blend well.
- Add 5 cups of flour and blend.
- Add remaining flour one cup at a time until dough pulls together.
- Knead adding flour if necessary until dough is elastic and pulls away from the bowl. This is best done in a heavy duty mixer, but can be done by hand.
- Dough is kneaded when a golf ball size piece can be stretched without tearing.
- Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and knead by hand for another minute or two.
- Divide into thirds and shape into loaves.
- You may use bread pans or for a beautiful loaf, divide each of the three doughs into thirds and shape into ropes and braid.
- Let rise until doubled.
- Brush with egg wash (one beaten egg and a splash of water)
- Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds
- Bake in 350 oven until thermometer inserted in center reads 205 and top is golden brown. Cover with foil if browning too fast.
- Note: For holidays such as Hanukkah, many add raisins. This is done during kneading.
People Who Like This Dish 32
- DawnJoslin Nowhere, Us
- baconlover Wadena, MN
- goshgolly Nowhere, Us
- Linda309 Whereabouts, Unknown
- Lionessa Nowhere, Us
- stovetopgoddess Ventura, CA
- lilia123 West Palm Beach, FL
- TopKatt8 Nowhere, Us
- carmen73 Nowhere, Us
- jasmilez Somewhere In The Land Of Enchantment, NM
- Plus 22 othersFrom around the world!
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating5 people
I need to work on my "rolling out the ropes" technique. The loaves came out well nonetheless. I am amazed at the amount of oven spring from these loaves, and your refrigerator rolls had great oven spring too.pointsevenout in Athens loved it
This is an incredible bread. The texture is very smooth due to the richness of the eggs. I made one loaf with the cinnamon that Borinda suggested and the others by the recipe. This is definitely a keeper recipe.cooper in Plano loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!