Japanese Egg Custard-- Chawan MushiFrom nlo209 7 years ago
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups of Japanese fish stock or ichiban dashi shopping list
- 4 shitake mushrooms, stems removed shopping list
- 1 chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces shopping list
- 4 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined shopping list
- 4 cilantro leaves shopping list
- 1/2 salt shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Remember this is supposed to be served in small chawan or cups so avoid using too much filler. Cut the chicken and the shrimps into bite-size pieces. Sprinkle them lightly with salt and soy sauce
- Make sure you have the necessary cups for chawan mushi . The cups should be small and should be able to be closed by lids or covered using aluminium foil. You can use teacups or even coffee mugs in a pinch.
- Break the eggs into one bowl. Use chopsticks to carefully break up the eggs. Do not let the egg mixture bubble. Mix the eggs and then pour in the dashi slowly while stirring with chopsticks. Add rest of salt and soy sauce.
- Prepare four cups and add some of the shrimp, chicken and shitaki to each of them. Slowly pour the egg mixture into each cup. Boil water in steamer .
- Cover each cup tightly with aluminum foil. Place the cups in the steamer. Cook for 15 minutes, until the custard is just set; it will still be very soft. Do not overcook. Garnish with the cilantro leaves or other green just before steaming finishes. Serve hot.