Chicken ChipsFrom thegoldminer 6 years ago
How to make it
- I get the skin from thighs as I boil thighs to eat as a grazing food. That’s another recipe.
- Place heavy duty foil on counter top. See Photo
- Rinse each piece of skin and layout full flat skin side down.
- Season lightly with Lawry's or it will get too salty, as much garlic and onion as you like.
- Then pepper. See Photo
- Turn over and season skin side.
- Dredge each piece carefully in flour. Shake off excess flour. Now using a sharp knife or scissors, put the whole skin into two or three pieces. The skin is easier to cut once dredged in flour. See Photo
- Oil should be hot, I have the temp one notch lower than high, but two notches will work. So it is slightly above medium high. See Photo
- Carefully lay each piece in so they are flat. Don’t over crowd the pan. See Photo
- Turn a couple of times until very little bubbles show around the edges and piece are a golden brown, place on paper towel. See Photo
- If you don't cut the pieces small, the center doesn't want to cook evenly. Yes there was a reason to cut them smaller. See Photo
- If you don't like the skin it's not for you, but they are just incredible in taste. If you are a skin eater, you can't walk by the plate and not grab a piece. They will last about 20 minutes. Any skin will do, used to get breast skin, but now it seems the stores get skinless breasts. There are breasts with skin, but it means you have a lot of breast meat. See Photo
- Regarding the thighs, I take off the skin and boil them with garlic and onion (granulated). Once cooked, cool, remove meat from bones and then I refrigerate the meat. For my grazing during the day, I pull out some meat, a little salt and pepper and it’s a taste grazing meal. It is juicier than doing breasts. Chicken chips, a JJ original. Don't knock them until you have tried them. Some good stuff.
The Cookthegoldminer Sacramento, CA
The Rating1 people
I never thought to try frying it alone.
Where do you get extra chicken skin? There is no way I could ever peel it off of chicken that I plan to fry and not sure you'll ever catch me making chicken any other way.possumqueen in Small Town loved it