Jicama Green Bean Pomegranate Walnut SaladFrom tinam 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 lb piece of jicama, peeled shopping list
- 1 fresh pomegranate shopping list
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice shopping list
- 3/4 lb thin French green beans shopping list
- 1/4 cup walnuts shopping list
- 1 tblsp fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
- 1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 tblsp fresh lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Peel and cut jicama into 1/4 inch thick slices. Stack 2 - 3 slices on a cutting board and cut into 1/4 inch sticks.
- Place in a bowl and toss with pomegranate juice. Chill, covered for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Have ready a bowl of ice and cold water. Trim green beans and in a saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch them for 3 minutes or until crisp and tender.
- Transfer beans with a slotted spoon into ice water to stop cooking. Drain in colander.
- With the pomegranate follow the 3 step process to dislodge fresh seeds (see NOTE). Save pomegranate juice (1/4 cup), by squeezing sacs and saving both juice and sacs for salad. Coarse chop the walnuts. Take out the jicama mixture and add green beans, pomegranate seeds and walnuts with parsley, olive oil, lemon juice with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss and serve.
- NOTE: Step 1. Cut off the crown, then cut the pomegranate into sections. Step 2. Place the sections in a bowl, then roll out the arils (juice sacs) with your fingers. Step 3. Strain the juice from sacs, as required to provide juice for recipe, save all succulent arils, whole seeds and all). Discard everything else.