European StewFrom noir 9 years ago
- 1 tbs plus 1 tsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 ½ tbs all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- ½ tsp chili powder shopping list
- ½ tsp ground coriander shopping list
- 3 cups vegetable broth shopping list
- 2 ½ cups peeled, cubed winter squash (butternut or delicata) (3/4 inch pieces) shopping list
- 1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes shopping list
- 1 cup frozen corn shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- ½ tsp salt, or more to taste shopping list
- 1 tbs tomato paste shopping list
- ½ tsp dried basil shopping list
- 1 large pinch cinnamon shopping list
- freshly ground pepper or cayenne pepper, to taste shopping list
- finely chopped red bell pepper for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, cook until soft, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, flour, cumin, chili powder, coriander and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, squash, potato, corn, bay leaf and salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil, cinnamon and pepper; cover partially and simmer gently until flavors have blended about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve over rice or polenta. Best if sits for a few hours before eating.
- Taste before serving and see if it needs a bit of sugar or a squeeze of lemon -–or both.