Roast Beef And Pork With Superb GravyFrom cabincrazyone 9 years ago
- One 3-1/2 pound beef chuck roast shopping list
- One 2-1/2 pound pork loin roast shopping list
- 3 Tblspns butter shopping list
- Two 10.75 oz cans Campbell's beefy mushroom condensed soup shopping list
- 2 soup cans of water shopping list
- ------- shopping list
- 1-1/2 Cups cold water shopping list
- 1/2 Cup flour shopping list
- another Cup of cold water shopping list
How to make it
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees. We'll start on top the stove. In an oven safe 6 quart dutch oven, melt the butter. Throw the meat in, sear and brown all sides on med high. It takes about 5 minutes.
- Pour the two cans of condensed soup on top of the meat. Pour two soup cans of water into bottom of pan. (I highly recommend this particular soup. If you substitute flavors it won't be as good. We've tried them all.)
- Put covered dutch oven into oven and roast at 325 for about 2-1/2 hours, or until the meat feels tender with the poke of a fork. (You want this cut done for optimum tenderness.)
- While the meat is in the oven, prepare mashed potatoes and a veggie side dish.
- To make gravy: Remove meat from pot and have your assistant carve it. On stove, bring the soup and juice in the pot to a boil.
- Mix 1-1/2 Cups of cold water and the flour in your flour shaker. Shake until there are no lumps.
- Pouring slowly, whisk the flour water into the boiling pot. At this point it's a little thick, but we're creating quantity. Whisk in the additional cup of cold water (more or less as needed) to bring to proper consistency. Simmer about three minutes, whisking constantly, to cook away the flour taste.
- At this point if the gravy consistency isn't quite right, add water to thin, or add a Tblspn flour shaken in one third cup cold water to thicken. If you haven't made gravy before, this may sound tedious. If you have, you know that great gravy is worth five minutes of whisking.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie dish like peas & carrots.