Low Country Gravy ChickenFrom lor 6 years ago
- 4 slices fatback (fat from the back of a pig) shopping list
- Note: I don't use pork fat. I substitute it with chicken fat but if I am in a bind, I use shortening. shopping list
- 3 lb. fryer chicken, cut up shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- good healthy dash of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and ginger powder shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups water or chicken broth shopping list
- 1 large onion, coarsely / rough chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. pepper shopping list
- Note: I like to add okra to this recipe. shopping list
How to make it
- Fry fatback in large fry pan.
- Shake cut up pieces of fryer chicken in a sturdy plastic bag with flour, garlic powder. onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and ginger powder.
- Place cut up pieces of fryer chicken in large skillet or Dutch oven with the fat.
- Brown on both sides.
- Stir water in slowly.
- Sprinkle with chopped onion, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover with tight fitting lid and cook on medium-low heat until gravy boils 10 minutes.
- Reduce to low heat.
- Cover and simmer 20 - 25 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.
- Serve with fresh cooked corn bread or hush puppies and a healthy salad.
- Serves 4 if you're lucky.
People Who Like This Dish 6
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating4 people
wow lor Im comin to dinner on this one thanks for postingmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
My Mom cooks chicken like this and there have got to be hushpuppies along side. Southern cooking all the way. Thanks Lor for another great one.mishi in loved it