Basic Spaghetti Or Pasta SauceFrom soprano 6 years ago
- 3 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- minced garlic or garlic powder to taste (I usually use at least 4 cloves) shopping list
- 12 oz. can tomato paste shopping list
- 36 oz. water (use the tomato paste can) shopping list
- 28 oz. can tomato puree shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. brown sugar (I use Sugar in the Raw) shopping list
- 1 tsp. dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried tarragon shopping list
How to make it
- Sauté minced garlic in olive oil until slightly browned.
- Add tomato paste.
- Add water; I find it easiest to start with small amounts of water and stirring well until the tomato paste is thinned down some.
- Add remaining ingredients in the order listed and mix well.
- Bring sauce mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer *uncovered* for 90 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes. The sauce WILL spatter as it simmers; I use a screen designed to keep frying foods from spattering to reduce this. Do NOT use a pot lid; the sauce needs to cook down in quantity.
- This recipe makes a lot of sauce; it can be divided and frozen for later use.