The Best Chinese Chicken SaladFrom annieamie 8 years ago
- MARINADE: shopping list
- 1/4 cup of sesame oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup white vinegar ( Do not use rice wine vinegar! ) shopping list
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- * shopping list
- Ingredients for salad: shopping list
- 2 heads of Iceburg lettuce, torn or cut into bite size pieces! ( if you are going to take this to a picnic where the lettuce might not be kept cold, use cabbage, cut like cole slaw.) shopping list
- 1/2-1 cup toasted almonds ( toast in oven at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes! ) shopping list
- 1 bundle of green onions or scallions (or more!), chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds shopping list
- 2 packages of skinned and boneless chicken breasts ( about 6-8 breasts ) shopping list
- 2 packages of Chinese wonton skins / wrappers (If you can't find these, you can use egg roll skins) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- oil to fry the won ton wrappers in.. I use Canola or peanut oil. shopping list
How to make it
- The day BEFORE your event or meal, prepare the marinade.
- Pour the marinade either in a bowl with a well-sealed top or into a ziplock-style baggie.
- Broil your chicken breasts after a good sprinkling of salt and pepper until cooked throroughly.
- Remove chicken from heat and cool.
- When the chicken has cooled, hand shred the breasts into bite sized pieces or strips.
- Place the chicken in the marinade mixing well and refrigerate for at least six to eight hours or until the next day.
- On the day you wish to serve your salad, prepare a frying pan or a small pot to try the wonton strips in.
- Heat the oil over a high heat.
- Slice your wontons, cutting a stack of several won tons into match-size strips or thicker if you prefer. I cut about 8 strips out of each square of dough, cutting through at least 12 wonton squares at the same time.
- Fry the wonton in small batches and watch them well as they will brown quickly.
- Cook each batch until they are a light golden brown color and drain over paper towels. (Cook as many as you like as they add a great crunch to the salad as well as flavor!)
- *For the salad, layer in the following manner in a very large wide bowl:
- Torn or shredded lettuce (or cabbage for an outdoors event or potluck)
- The chicken strips (Just remove chicken with tongs directly from bag. You do not have to drain the chicken as it absorbs the marinade but if you have excess marinade, you do not need to use it.)
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions
- The fried won ton skin strips
- *Do not toss the salad as its not necessary.
- **I stole this pic from the WEB and forgot where ;)
The Cookannieamie Los Angeles, US
The Rating3 people
thanks all the flavors seem just great to me and i cant wait to try this one out we have pot lucks every two weeks when the snow birds are here and i always look for that something that sounds good to me that they wount make and if there are any left...moremaywest in Tangerine loved it
Wonderful! :)noir in Boston loved it