Oven-Fried Mozzarella SticksFrom rodeogirl73 7 years ago
- 2 sprays olive oil cooking spray, divided shopping list
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce shopping list
- 2 tsp ground oregano, divided shopping list
- 3 slice reduced-calorie wheat bread, torn shopping list
- 1 tsp dried thyme shopping list
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 finger-like strips shopping list
- 2 Tbsp honey mustard shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce and 1 teaspoon of oregano; set pan over low heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine bread, remaining teaspoon of oregano and thyme; process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Place crumbs in a shallow bowl. (Tip: Use the ends of the loaf of bread for the bread crumbs since those slices are often uneaten.)
- Coat cheese sticks with honey mustard. Transfer cheese to bread crumb mixture and turn to coat. Arrange cheese on prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Bake until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with warmed tomato sauce on the side. Yields 2 cheese sticks and about 1/4 cup of sauce per serving.