Zebra CakeFrom liezel 8 years ago
- SPONGE LAYERS: shopping list
- =============== shopping list
- 5 eggs, sperated shopping list
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar (155ml) shopping list
- 2 tbsp water (30 ml) shopping list
- 1 tbsp vanilla, liquid (15 ml) shopping list
- 1/3 cup cake flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar shopping list
- FILLING: shopping list
- ======= shopping list
- 1 cup cream (1 cup) shopping list
- 1 can caramel condensed milk shopping list
- 1 slab peppermint crisp chocolate (or whatever flavour you desire) shopping list
How to make it
- SPONGE LAYERS:
- Double the layer recipe, example, use 10 eggs, but make 2 mixtures in two different bowls. This is to ensure that the layers will be equally thick after being baked.
- Spray 2 large swissroll or cooking pans.
- Lay wax paper on top of this.
- Spray the wax paper aswell.
- Put aside.
- Seperate the eggs.
- Sift the cocoa, flour and salt together twice.
- Set aside.
- Beat the sugar slowly into the egg yolks.
- Increase speed.
- Beat for 5 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Add in the vanilla and water.
- Beat again.
- Mixture will thin out.
- Add the flour mixture in three equal parts.
- Mixing well after each addition.
- Beat for 3 minutes on the highest setting.
- Set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites.
- Beat slowly at first for 10 seconds.
- Increase the speed until high.
- Beat until stiff points form.
- Scoop up half a cup of whites and beat into flour mixture.
- Fold the rest of the egg whites into the mixture.
- Pour the batter on top of the wax or parchment paper.
- Smooth out with a spatula.
- Hold the dough filled pan 3 inches above the working surface and drop the pan. This is to break of air pockets trapped in the batter.
- Bake for 23 minutes at 350 deg F (180 deg C).
- Place a teatowel over the baked layer.
- Turn the pan over on the worksurface with the tea towel.
- Remove the paper very carefully.
- Cut the cake into 4 or 5 equal strips.
- At the end there will be 8 or ten strips, counting the second layer of baked cake.
- Beat the cream until stiff points form.
- Boil the condensed milk beforehand for 3 hours if you don't get caramel condensed milk in your store.
- Mix the caramel condensed milk with the cream, keeping a little bit for topping aside.
- Grate the chocolate.
- Mix half of the chocolate into the mixture.
- ASSEMBLING THE CAKE:
- Spread the filling on a strip of cut cake.
- Start rolling it up very carefully, like making a swissroll.
- Place onto a cake plate.
- Spread filling on the next strip.
- Pick the strip up very carefully, and place aroung the first layer.
- Keep this up until the layers are finished.
- Spread some caramel condensed milk on top.
- Sprinkle the chocolate over.
- Decorate the cake as you please.
The Cookliezel Bloemfontein, ZA
The Rating10 people
Very well done Leizel!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
thanks LIEZEL for another great posting!!!My sister who stays in Cape Town gave me a similar recipe,but for the life of me i could not picture it over the phone :) thanks for the wonderful pictures IT SAYS IT ALL . BTW your daughter looks so cute!!!!...moremumtazcatering in Gauteng loved it
Wow Leizel, looks fabulous. Love making desserts that make such a beautiful presentation. Great post, love all the pictures, you went through a lot of trouble to get them all so perfectly, thanks ;)henrie in Savannah loved it