Beef-and-rice Cabbage RollsFrom chihuahua 5 years ago
- 1 Head green cabbage, 2-3 lb. shopping list
- 1 1/2 C water shopping list
- 1/2 t salt, plus salt to taste shopping list
- 3/4 C Short-Grain white rice shopping list
- 2 T olive oil shopping list
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 lb. Ground (minced) beef shopping list
- 2 T chopped Fresh Parsely, plus Parsely Leaves for garnish shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 2 C tomato sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water. Bring to a boil.
- Core cabbage deeply.
- Immerse the cabbage in the water and cook, turning occasionally, until leaves are translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Lift out the cabbage and, when cool enough to handle, remove the soft outer leaves. When you reach leaves that are still firm, return the cabbage to the boiling water and repeat the cooking and removing of the leaves. You will need 18 leaves in all.
- Trim each stem even with the leaf bottom.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the water and the 1/2 t salt. Bring to a boil.
- Slowly add the rice, reduce heat to low. Cover and cook without stirring for 20 minutes; do not remove the cover.
- After 20 minutes, uncover and check to see if the rice is tender and water absorbed. If not, re-cover and cook for a few minutes longer until rice is done.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and saute, stirring until soft. About 10 minutes.
- Transfer the onion to a large bowl and add the rice, beef, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 2-3 T filling at the stem end of each cabbage leaf.
- Fold in the sides of the leaf and then roll up from the stem end to enclose the filling.
- Place the rolls, seam side down, in a 9X13 inch baking dish. Pour the tomato sauce on top and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake until the leaves are tender, 1-1/4 hours.
- Garnish with parsley leaves and serve.