Mamas Gemista- Greek- Style Stuffed Tomatoes And PeppersFrom greekgirrrl 6 years ago
- 8 medium tomatoes shopping list
- 8 medium peppers shopping list
- 4 medium potatoes shopping list
- 2 cups rice shopping list
- 3 onions (chopped) shopping list
- spearmint (you can also use dill) shopping list
- Tsp of sugar shopping list
- parsley shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Slice off the top of the tomatoes and the peppers.
- Use a spoon to remove the inside part of the tomatoes and the peppers.
- Try to leave the empty tomatoes as thin as possible but be careful not to poke through their skin.
- Save the inner part of the tomatoes you have removed. It will be used for the stuffing.
- Mash the inner tomato parts with a blender and mix half of the tomato mash with the rice, the onions (chopped), the spearmint, the sugar and the parsley.
- Pour olive oil and boil the rice mixture.
- Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Do not overcook the stuffing.
- The rice should not be soft. It will soften later during baking time. Stuff the tomatoes and the peppers and cover them with their tops. Place them in a pan, surround them with the potatoes (sliced) and pour the rest of the tomato mash.
- Add olive oil and bake for about 1 1/2 hour in at 375 .
- Add water to the bottom of the pan, if required, during baking. This keeps the tomatoes and peppers moist.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating5 people
This is a classic recipe I have had from my Greek friends that I have adapted for the way I eat today.
Michaeltrigger in loved it
great recipe thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it