Mamas Gemista- Greek- Style Stuffed Tomatoes And PeppersFrom greekgirrrl 9 years ago
- 8 medium tomatoes shopping list
- 8 medium peppers shopping list
- 4 medium potatoes shopping list
- 2 cups rice shopping list
- 3 onions (chopped) shopping list
- spearmint (you can also use dill) shopping list
- Tsp of sugar shopping list
- parsley shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Slice off the top of the tomatoes and the peppers.
- Use a spoon to remove the inside part of the tomatoes and the peppers.
- Try to leave the empty tomatoes as thin as possible but be careful not to poke through their skin.
- Save the inner part of the tomatoes you have removed. It will be used for the stuffing.
- Mash the inner tomato parts with a blender and mix half of the tomato mash with the rice, the onions (chopped), the spearmint, the sugar and the parsley.
- Pour olive oil and boil the rice mixture.
- Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Do not overcook the stuffing.
- The rice should not be soft. It will soften later during baking time. Stuff the tomatoes and the peppers and cover them with their tops. Place them in a pan, surround them with the potatoes (sliced) and pour the rest of the tomato mash.
- Add olive oil and bake for about 1 1/2 hour in at 375 .
- Add water to the bottom of the pan, if required, during baking. This keeps the tomatoes and peppers moist.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating5 people
great recipe thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
This is a classic recipe I have had from my Greek friends that I have adapted for the way I eat today.
Michaeltrigger in loved it