Boiled CrawfishFrom betty_boop 6 years ago
- crawfish ( you will need 4 to 5 lbs of crawfish per person) shopping list
- 20 gal Pot to boil shopping list
- 60 to 80 quart pot shopping list
- just one BIG POT.. larger than the Gumbo/soup pot for the family dinner. shopping list
- Outdoor Propane cooker shopping list
- ice Chest you will need one for the potato's , corn an anything else . shopping list
- then another chest for crawfish..... this makes things easier for your guest to serve. shopping list
- Large table shopping list
- News paper shopping list
- trash can with 30 gal bag shopping list
- choose one or all ...have on hand.. shopping list
- paper Towels shopping list
- latex gloves for the ladies.. shopping list
- wet ones for hands shopping list
- wet hand towel.. shopping list
- FOR THE BOIL: shopping list
- 3 boxes table salt shopping list
- 3 lbs onions shopping list
- 1 bag lemons shopping list
- crawfish seasoning depends on how hot you would like them.. shopping list
- 4 lbs. new potato shopping list
- 1 pack of 4 butter shopping list
- 12 to 24 small corn on the cob shopping list
- Optional to put into boil: shopping list
- 2 lbs sausage you may cut up after boiling shopping list
- 2 packs whole fresh mushrooms shopping list
- 3 packs wienners the little ones like this...a few adults too..lol shopping list
How to make it
- One of the first things you need to do is figure out how many people are going to be at your home for the boil..
- if there are 6 guest multiply by 4 to 5 lbs per person.
- so this would be around 24 to 30 lbs of crawfish. ( I would have about 45 to 60 lbs because my guest love to eat this !! ) It is safer to go with the larger number ..you will want more so you don't have to worry of not having enough...
- Now :
- Once you get your crawfish you will need to pruge them
- this is done..in a #3 wash tub , or a ice chest , water ( water hose ) long handle paddle, tonge for pick out , Salt.
- Dump crawfish in the wash tub spray with water hose then pour salt and let the crawfish sit for about 15 minutes ..then you will pick out all the trashy grass , debris, bait, an if there is any dead crawfish remove them.
- keep doing this until you see the water is clean and no grass or dead crawfish in the tub ( we do this about 3 times ) with having our music and beverage on hand.
- The next thing you do:
- Fill large pot 1/2 full with fresh water, place on outdoor propane cooker, and light.
- The fire should cover the entire botttom of the pot and flame should be licking up the side. The pot hould come to a rolling boin in about 15 minutes.
- Dump & Boil Crawfish Boil Seasoning to water according to the commercial crab/crawfish boil directions.
- Place the lid on the pot and bring seasoned water to a rolling boil.
- Then remove lid
- Now you my add but put these into your water not your basket
- let boil for about 10 minutes or have a cold beverage
- Now you are ready to boil: Place these items into your basket and let boil for about 10 to 15 minutes or until potatos , corn are cooked .
- corn on the cob
- new potatos
- Remember to keep your pot boiling the water will cool down somewhat when you add the crawfish ...so raise the heat if necessary to bring it back to a boil. Add your sticks of butter (putting 2 of the sticks
- this will help tender the crawfish for peeling. If you find that they are really hard add another stick but this should be fine with the 2.
- Add about 4 or 5 lbs of crawfish at a time ( not too many lbs because then you will need s ome one to help you lift to remove basket with crawfish in it)
- now after you have put the crawfish in to boil let boil for 13 minutes and turn burner off....Letting the crawfish soak for another 13 minutes. Remove the basket from the water and let drain some back into the pot ( you may use a couple of clean boards to place the basket on ) then dump into Ice chest you may also season again at this time with Slap Yo Mama or La. crawfish seasoning...
- close the lid on the ice chest and continue to repeat the boiling of all your crawfish.
- Once all crawfish are boiled and seasoned from Mild to Hot!!
- Serve boiled crawfish and vegetables in a big pile in the middle of the newspaper covered table. If seasoning is not as spicy or as salty as you would like, simply sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, salt or red pepper
- good dipping sauce for Crawfish:
- Mayo and ketchup....mixed together and serve...
- My that sure am good tastin' crawfish ..... Bon Appetit'
The Cookbetty_boop Sulphur, LA
The Rating2 people
LOve pinchin tail......never got into suckin heads though. Ain't nothin like some good hot spicy crawfish. And this recipe is the proper way to do them up, too. Thanks for posting, You get a 5 rrating from me!saltymike in Naples loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!