Prassopita- Greek Leek Potato And Olive PieFrom greekgirrrl 6 years ago
- tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 3 to 4 medium leeks (1-1/2 pounds total), white and light green parts, shopping list
- well rinsed, drained, and chopped shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 tablespoon milk shopping list
- 2 medium potatoes (10 ounces), peeled and coarsely grated shopping list
- 3 tablespoons chopped Kalamata or other good black or green Greek olives shopping list
- 1/3 cup grated kefalotyri or parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Dash of cayenne pepper shopping list
- 12 to 15 sheets phyllo dough, shopping list
- olive oil or melted butter, for oiling the phyllo shopping list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk, or 1 egg yolk beaten with 1/2 tablespoon water (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish or equivalent round pan.
- Heat the 3 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and saute until they are well wilted but still bright green, 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- While the leeks are cooling, lightly beat the egg together with the 1 tablespoon milk.
- Place the potatoes, olives, cheese, dill, salt, and cayenne in a mixing bowl.
- Add the leeks and the egg mixture and stir together.
- Cut the phyllo sheets to size of baking dish.
- Oil and layer one third of the phyllo in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Add half the filling, spreading it out evenly.
- Oil and layer another one third of the sheets over the filling.
- Spread the remaining filling evenly over the phyllo.
- Oil and layer the remaining sheets of phyllo on top.
- Oil the top of the pie.
- Tuck the filo in around the edges, and score to make 12 pieces. Brush the top and around the edges with the milk or the egg wash, if you prefer eggs. I prefer milk.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake until the top and the edges are golden and crisp, 1-1/2 hours.
- Serve right away, or at room temperature.
- You can also make the pie with simply a top and bottom crust and one layer of filling.
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating8 people
Thank you for the sharing such a healthy and delicious recipe with us.
What is great about this dish is that it is equally as good as a leftover.
rvbh62 in Ozark loved it
How did I miss this one? I love everything about this recipe, thanks so much.invisiblechef in loved it
Olive, potatoes and leeks, oh my! This just has to be good. Thanks for giving me another new recipe to try!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it