WORLDS BEST REASONABLY HEALTHY LASAGNAFrom magandab 9 years ago
- 1 pound turkey sweet Italian sausage shopping list
- 1 pound lean ground beef shopping list
- 1/2 cup minced onion shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste shopping list
- 2 (8 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds shopping list
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (divided) shopping list
- 1 box lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat noodles) shopping list
- 16 ounces reduced fat ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 3/4 pound (or more, to taste) reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded shopping list
- 1 cup (or more, to taste) grated parmesan cheese (divided) shopping list
How to make it
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Drain completely.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and remaining parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble, spread enough of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish to lightly coat. Arrange noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one third of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1/3 of the meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 30-45 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Note: I have a huge lasagna pan that hold four lasagna noodles, side by side, and this made enough to make it four layers high. So, I used 4 noodles, 1/4 of the sauce, 1/4 of the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and 1/3 of the ricotta mixture for each of the first three layers. I then put the last layer of noodles on, spread it with the rest of the sauce and topped it with the rest of the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses
The Cookmagandab Apple Valley, US
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!