Beef Barley Pea SoupFrom dtour 7 years ago
- 2 TBS olive oil shopping list
- 3 pounds of beef chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/2 inch peices shopping list
- 5 tsps of coarse kosher salt shopping list
- 1 TBS of freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 4 large onions chopped shopping list
- 1 leek, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 turnips, peeled and chopped small. shopping list
- 5 large stalks of celery shopping list
- 1 - 16 ounce package of green split peas shopping list
- 2 cans of pinto beans, drained shopping list
- 1 cup pearl barley shopping list
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1 inch peices shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a 10 quart pot over med-high heat. Season beef with
- 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper, brown well on all sides in two batches.
- Remove meat and set aside
- Add onions, leek, turnips, celery, garlic and the remaining salt and pepper to pot.
- Cook stirring often, until onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Return beef to pot and add split peas, stir to mix, add 4 qts of water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add barley and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in carrots and cook 15 minutes.
- Add drained pinto beans continue to cook for 5 minutes more.
The Cookdtour Somewhere In Florida, FL
The Rating4 people
I bet I'll like this much more than Campbells~ LOL!shepherdrescue in Lake Forest loved it
My kind of soup. Thanks. L.lasaf in St. Paul loved it
I make a lot of pea soup it is an old portguese recipe, this sounds like a great varation, I will have to try it sometime.princesa9580 in ******* loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!