Chicken MarengoFrom vino4dino 7 years ago
- 1 whole fying chicken, 3- 31/2 lbs. shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 1 Tbs. salt shopping list
- 2 tsp. creole seasoning shopping list
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 2 oz. brandy shopping list
- 1 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 2 medium, firm tomatoes, diced shopping list
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice shopping list
- 1 cup Louisiana crawfish tails shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Cut the chicken into the standard pieces. Combine the flour with the salt and Creole seasoning and mix with a fork. Dust the chicken pieces with the flour mixture to coat thoroughly but lightly. (You probably won't need to use all the flour.)
- 2. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent.
- 3. Add the chicken pieces and brown, all round. Add the brandy and (if you like and are very careful) flame it off. (You can also just let it boil mostly away.)
- 4. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes. Bring the pan to a light boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook on the lowest heat for 50 minutes, turning the chicken now and then.
- 5. After 50 minutes, add the mushrooms, crawfish tails and lemon juice. Cover and continue simmering for another ten minutes.
- 6. Place two pieces of chicken per person on plates. Adjust salt and pepper in the sauce and serve around and over the chicken.