Sweet Onion CasseroleFrom notyourmomma 6 years ago
- 7 cups of chopped onions shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 4 tbsp. of butter shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups of grated white cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream shopping list
- 1 egg, plus 2 egg yolks shopping list
- chopped pimento for garnish (or use roasted red pepper strips) shopping list
- 1 tsp of seasoning salt shopping list
- paprika for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Saute the onions and the red pepper in foaming hot butter over low-medium heat for 15 minutes until completely soft but not browned.
- Place half the cheese in a buttered 2 quart casserole.
- Top with the wilted onions and peppers.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Combine cream, eggs, minced peppers (or pimentos), salt to make a custard sauce.
- Pour sauce over cheese layer.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, lower heat to 325 and continue to bake 25 minutes longer.
- Rich creamy, savory delicious! Also good with roasted leg of lamb.
- Have been known to top with a bit of bread crumb and a bit of parmesan to make a crust.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cooknotyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
The Rating5 people
xounds greatcheryilyn in Salem loved it
Got my attention with this one. Woweeee.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
This is fantastic - and you're right...especially with Vidalias. This recipe really takes me back. Great post, sweetiepie - thanks!lunasea in Orlando loved it