Baklava - AlmondFrom dail 9 years ago
- 250ml vegetable oil shopping list
- 750g filo pastry (24 layers approx.) shopping list
- 500g diced almonds shopping list
- ½ tsp cinnamon shopping list
- syrup (best made a day ahead of time) shopping list
- 500ml water shopping list
- 750g caster sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 tbs lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Grease a (28cm x 23cm) lamington tin with vegetable oil. Cut 1/3 (250g) of the pastry into small pieces or strips. Scrunch these strips into little bundles of 'cuttings'. Mix the almonds with the cinnamon.
- Place a sheet of pastry on each side of the tin, allowing them to meet in the centre and over hang the edges. Place another 2 sheets of pastry at 90° to the first two, on the bottom of tin. Likewise meeting in the centre and overhanging the edges. Add two more sheets of pastry, brushed with vegetable oil and folded in half. Fit these two sheets directly into the tin with no overlap.
- Add half of the filo pastry 'cuttings' spreading evenly. Then add a layer of filo pastry topped with a brushing of vegetable oil.
- Top with half of the almonds, spread evenly, then another layer of filo pastry brushed with oil.
- Repeat a layer of the 'scrunched cuttings', then a layer of folded filo, then remaining almonds. Top with a sheet of folded pastry.
- Fold the sides of the pastry inwards to meet in the centre of tray, and enclose filling. Add one layer of pastry on the top and pour over about 100 ml of the remaining vegetable oil.
- Cut the baklava into squares, then, make diagonal cuts to form triangles (do not cut too deep).
- Place in a preheated oven, set at (155°C) and cook for approximately 2 hours until golden brown.
- Once baklava is cooked, remove from oven and immediately pour over the cold syrup. Serve when cold.
- Mix water, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil and cook (10 minutes) until thickened slightly.
- Cool at room temperature overnight.
The Cookdail Sherwood, AU
- Not added to any groups yet!