Marinara Completely from ScratchFrom yoyoyemen 7 years ago
How to make it
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for a few minutes. I like to cut the tops off before boiling, because I find it easier then. I also cut an x in the bottom to make it easier to peel. Let the tomatoes cool, then peel them, slice them in half and squeeze the halves out over the sink to get rid of all those seeds and excess liquid. Let the squeezing be therapeutic. . .get all that negative energy out!
- Chop the onions, garlic and pepper really well, and start them frying in plenty of oil in a large pan (I use a wok) on the stovetop.
- While they're cooking, throw the tomatoes into a blender and mostly puree, not completely, leave some chunks. Or you can just chop the tomatoes well, as you like.
- When the onions are starting to brown, or they're clear, probably about 5-10 minutes, start putting in the tomatoes and stir well.
- Let it simmer for a while, and put in whatever seasonings you like, in whatever amounts. I like plenty.
- I also put in a couple tablespoons of sugar to kind of take the edge off the tomatoes. I change this recipe every time I make it, but I love it, and love that I can use it for 20 different things!