Sinfully Heaven Chocolate Cream PieFrom divaliscious 6 years ago
- 1 pie shell - baked blindly (not you, the pie) shopping list
- 2/3 cup white sugar shopping list
- 3-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch OR 5 tablespoons flour (I prefer cornstarch) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk shopping list
- 3 extra large egg yolks (save whites for meringue) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, grated or cut up fine. shopping list
- 1 Hungry Crowd looking forward and behaving well for their chocolate cream pie shopping list
- Equipment Needed: 1 double boiler with lid, remember to not let water touch bottom of double boiler, whisk. shopping list
How to make it
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and shaved/grated unsweetened chocolate to double boiler over simmering water. With whisk, stir ingredients till combined.
- Add cold milk and while stirring constantly and cooking over boiling water, cook until thickened. Place lid on top of double boiler and cook 15 minutes longer.
- In separate bowl, beat egg yolks and temper hot mixture into beaten egg yolks by adding about 1/4 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Then add the tempered egg yolks back into remaining mixture in double boiler and cook for 2 minutes over hot (not boiling) water stirring constantly. Cool (not in fridge!) but on counter then add pure vanilla extract.
- Pour into baked pie shell, cover with meringue if so desired and bake 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Otherwise once pie is cooled, you can keep it chilled in fridge and serve with whipped cream right before serving.
- Add shavings of chocolate for that "martha" factor if you wish along with a sprig of fresh mint.
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating7 people
this sounds delicious, thanks!magali777 in Mexico loved it
Love this pie! Made it like this for years! Got my 5shirleyoma in Cove loved it
2 words.......yummmmm mmmmm
jettjett2whit in Union City loved it