Chocolate RouladeFrom dandelion 9 years ago
- Souffle: shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate in small pieces shopping list
- 7 egg whites – room temperature shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon butter for parchment and pan shopping list
- Crème Chantilly Filling: shopping list
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled shopping list
- 3-6 Tablespoons powdered sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons cognac shopping list
How to make it
- For Souffle
- Set oven at 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet (11”x17” or 13” x 18”) with buttered parchment paper… butter side DOWN in pan.
- Heat cream to simmering; add chocolate pieces and lower heat. Stir briskly with whisk. Remove from heat as soon as ganache is completely smooth. Let cool a few minutes.
- Whip egg whites and 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar until stiff peaks with glossy sheen.
- Scoop ¼ of the egg whites into the warm ganache – stir briefly with whisk to blend. MOVE FAST. Pour ganache into whites and fold gently – work fast! Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. LET CAKE COOL IN PAN TO ROOM TEMP.
- For Chantilly Cream
- Whip the cream with sugar/vanilla and cognac. Remove a little over half to another bowl for filling.
- To the remaining whipped cream, add about 1 Tablespoon or so of cocoa powder for outside of cake for chocolate “icing.”
- Lift the cake out of the pan with the parchment on the bottom still intact. Place on a flat surface with long side facing you. Lightly dust the top of cake with cocoa powder, then spread the whipped cream (white portion) covering the surface.
- At this point, you can add fresh sliced fruits, shaved chocolate, etc. if desired.
- Lift up the edge of the cake with the parchment and fold away from you – peeling parchment paper off the cake as you roll.
- Complete the roll by tucking loose parchment around and underneat so it is well wrapped.
- Frost the outside of roulade with chocolate whipped cream. Garnish with chocolate dipped strawberries on top!
- Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
The Cookdandelion Ashland, NE
The Rating3 people
great recipe...I love this kind of dessert...thanks!hooch in New Zealand loved it