Devonshire Sandwich - Pittsburgh FavoriteFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- Cream sauce: shopping list
- 3/4 stick butter, melted shopping list
- 1 C flour shopping list
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese, grated shopping list
- 1 pint chicken broth shopping list
- 1 pint hot milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- Sandwiches: shopping list
- 6 slices good toast, crusts trimmed off shopping list
- 1 pound bacon, cooked crisp shopping list
- 1 pound thinly sliced cooked turkey breast - the REAL thing off the bone! shopping list
- melted butter shopping list
- parmesan cheese shopping list
- paprika shopping list
How to make it
- To make cream sauce: melt 3/4 stick butter in deep pan and add flour, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and then hot milk and salt, for 20 minutes, still stirring. Cool to lukewarm. Beat with whisk until smooth before using. Makes enough for 6 sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 450. Using flat, individual ovenproof casserole dishes, place slice of toast and top with bacon. Add slices of cooked turkey. Cover completely with cream sauce. Drizzle with a little melted butter. Mix Parmesan andpaprika and sprinkle over tops. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- If you don't have the types of individual dishes the recipe calls for, do them in a 9" x 13" casserole dish. Works just fine, tastes just as great!
- NOTE: To make this gluten-free, use cornstarch measure-for-measure in place of flour and use gf toast. Enjoy!
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating5 people
!yumm! I've had one and this is a great recipe! A 5 from me!tippystclair in North Hollywood loved it
I haven't tried one but I sure will now! THanks.juliecake in Bluffdale loved it
Reminds me of a Kentucky hot brown...you get my high five. Doesn't Pittsburgh have the Primante sandwich with the fries stuffed inside, or am I thinking of another city?notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it