Grilled Eggplant and Mozzarella SandwichFrom tequila12 5 years ago
- 1 Large or 2 smaller Egglplant (about 1 1/2 lbs. total) shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh basil, plus 8 whole sprigs shopping list
- 1 TBLS. chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tsp. dried shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1 large ripe tomato,sliced about 1/4 inch thick shopping list
- 4 Portuguese or other similiar sandwich rolls, split shopping list
- 6 oz. mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slices.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and set in a colander to drain for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, chopped basil, chopped oregano and pepper.
- Let mixture stand 15 minutes.
- Prepare a medium hot fire in the grill.
- Rinse the eggplant under cold water and pat the slices dry with paper towels.
- Brush both the eggplant and tomato slices on both sides with the flavored oil.
- Grill the eggplant, turning occasionally and brushing with more oil, until tender and nicely browned, about 15 minutes.
- About 2 minutes before the eggplant is done, brush the cut sides of the rolls with the flavored oil and toast on the grill.
- Add the tomato slices and grill, again brushing them with flavored oil until they begin to soften, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches by layering the grilled eggplant, cheese and tomato slices on the bottom half of the rolls.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Top each sandwich with a couple of sprigs of basil then cover with top of roll.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cooktequila12 Sleepy Hollow, IL
The Rating8 people
Sounds like one fantastic sandwich ro me - count me in! Thanks so much...
~Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it
Yum. This sounds great. Love it. Great post.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Love everything eggplant, will definitely give this a try!! Thanks........juliecake in Bluffdale loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!