Lip-Smacking Fruit-stuffed Roasted Pork LoinFrom chefjeb 8 years ago
How to make it
- Medium chop dried fruits into about 1/4 inch pieces, set aside
- Chop or crush nuts, set aside
- Trim pork loin of all fat and silverskin.
- Place loin on cutting board and using a sharp knife butterfly loin by cutting through middle but not all the way through. Stop about 1/2 inch from bottom. Turn knife to right and cut to about 1/2 inch from right side. Reverse knife and do left side the same way, stopping about 1/2 inch from left wall. With hands, open loin. You will now have a flat piece about 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle lightly with granulated garlic and black pepper,
- Spread evenly dried fruits and nuts leaving about 1/2 inch border all around.
- Roll pork jellyroll style and very tight. Tie with butcher twine at one inch intervals.
- Place on roasting rack and bake in 325 degree oven until internal temperature reaches 135.
- Using pastry brush, glaze with All Fruit mixed with 3 tbs fruit juice such as apple, orange. Use only enough to glaze. Remainder will be used to nap pork for presentation.
- Return to oven and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 140.
- Remove and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove twine and with sharp knife cut 1/4 inch slices.
- Place on platter in fan shape and nap with reserved All Fruit.
- Note (1) Center cut pork loins are split, so you will have two pieces. Full loins are longer and larger and will have more connecting tissues, they will work, just as well, but won't have the same attractive presentation. Use whatever size loin (or part oa loin) you need. One pound will produce about 3 servings.
- Note (2) Crushed nuts can be walnuts, pecans or whatever.
- Note (3) Dried fruits are the ones in the bags at the grocery. Your choice. I use cherries, cranberries, plums and apricot combos.
- Note (4) All Fruit is optional. You can just use heavy Pepper on top or a purchased or made fruit glaze of your choice. Marmalade also works great.
- All recipes are just food, but this is pretty and good show-off food!