Fried Fruit PiesFrom tippystclair 8 years ago
- *Pastry shopping list
- 3 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1 egg, slightly beaten shopping list
- 1/4 cup cold water shopping list
- 1 tsp white vinegar shopping list
- *Filling shopping list
- 3 cups dried fruit (peaches, apples, apricots, cherries, or your preference) shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups water shopping list
- 6 Tbsp sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice shopping list
- You can use ready-made filling. Just don't use too much of the syrup in your pies. shopping list
How to make it
- Mix flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles cornmeal consistency.
- Mix beaten egg with the water and vinegar.
- Sprinkle on flour mixture.
- Mix well.
- Shape dough into a ball .
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least one hour or untilchilled.
- Simmer the fruit in the water for 30 to 45 minutes on low heat until tender. (Add more water if necessary.)
- Allow to cool, then mash fruit slightly and stir in sugar and spices.
- *Making the pies
- Remove pastry from refrigerator and cut into four equal pieces.
- Cut each of the four pieces into three pieces, (You witll have12 small dough balls.)
- Roll each ball into a 5 to 6 inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Put 2 Tbsp filling on one side of circle.
- Seal by wetting inside edge of dough with water (use your finger).
- Fold the dough, making a half-moon shape.
- Make the edges of the dough are even.
- Press and crimp to make a good seal.
- Use a fork to decorate the edge.
- Make sure the filling is sealed itightly and any holes are crimped.
- *Frying - two methods:
- To deep fry, heat oil in a deep pan or a deep-fryer.
- Lower the pies into the oil, one at a time.
- Fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pan frying:
- Fry pies in about 1/2 inch oil in an electric frying pan at375° F.
- The pies must be turned when one side is golden brown,.
- Sprinkle the hot pies with granulated sugar or cinnamon sugar, or make a fruit flavored sugar and water glaze and pour over the top of the pie.
The Cooktippystclair North Hollywood, GB
The Rating5 people
Oh YEAH BABY..........Love these .....great Postgrizzlybear in loved it
My momma and grandma used to make these tasty babies when I was a kidlet. I love them!! Thanks for the recipe, hon...lunasea in Orlando loved it
Oh my, I love fried pies! I would be 400 lbs. if I was around your house, with all the goodies that you post.bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!