Chicken And DumplingsFrom tippystclair 9 years ago
- 1 3 lb chicken shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- 2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 med onion, cut into quarters shopping list
- 1 stalk of celery, roughly chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper shopping list
- Dumplings: shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 3 Tbsp shortening shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk (or skimmed or 2% milk if you wish to reduce the fat) shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken in a large pot. (Turn chicken upside down; cook it with the breast side down to prevent drying. )
- Add the water, broth, carrot, onion, celery and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower heat.
- Simmer for 60 to 70 minutes, or until tender and chicken is done. Remove chicken and let it cool enough to handle.
- Remove the carrot, onion and celery from the broth and set aside. Leave the broth in the pot.
- Bone chicken.
- Discard all skin, bones and cartilage.
- Tear meat into bite sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- For dumplings:
- Mix flour, baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt in bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is consistency of cornmeal.
- Add the buttermilk, (or milk).
- Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and ONLY knead 4 or 5 times.
- For drop dumplings:
- Pat dough down to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Pinch off 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- For rolled dumplings:
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into strips, about 2 x 2 inches.
- Bring broth to a boil.
- With the chicken broth at a low rolling boil, drop in the dumplings, one or two at a time, and reduce heat to medium.
- Stir from time to time to make sure dumplings do not stick together. Cook dumplings 10 minutes.
- Return chicken and vegetables to the mixture.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and remove from heat.
- Serve in low, flat bowls.
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cooktippystclair North Hollywood, GB
The Rating8 people
Wonderful recipe - count me in! Thanks so much...lunasea in Orlando loved it
You make me wish we were neighbors! We always share what we cook. Love it. Maretheiris in Garden City loved it
You got that right,Nothin' like down home cookin'!This sounds delicious!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!