Baked Macaroni and CheddarFrom netty_angel 6 years ago
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into bite-size florets and stalks peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- 1 pound whole wheat elbow pasta shopping list
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots (about 3) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups low-fat milk shopping list
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes shopping list
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, smashed shopping list
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs shopping list
How to make it
- Fill a large pot with enough water to reach a depth of 2 inches and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 1 minute; drain and rinse with cold water. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and add the broccoli in an even layer.
- Fill the same pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente; drain.
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400°. In the same pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the flour for 1 minute. Whisk in 1 cup milk until thickened, then whisk in 1 cup more. Whisk the cornstarch into the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk, then whisk the mixture into the pot. Simmer, whisking, until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower the heat and stir in the cheddar and 4 tablespoons parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the pasta. Spoon the mixture over the broccoli.
- In a small heatproof bowl, combine the garlic and remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter; microwave at high power until melted, about 20 seconds. Stir in the bread crumbs, the remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Discard the garlic, then sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on the pasta. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cooknetty_angel Rolla, MO
The Rating9 people
I LOVE RACHAEL RAY AND PAULA DEEN THIS IS A GOOD ONE TOO THANKSminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
I love this!thanks!iffyo in loved it
Excellent. I love mac and cheese so much.tippystclair in North Hollywood loved it