Grandma Nelles Creamed Chipped BeefFrom divaliscious 6 years ago
- 1 package of dried chipped beef - usually found by the bacon in your grocery store. I prefer packaged versus in a jar shopping list
- 1-2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1-2 tablespoons flour (start with one tablespoon) shopping list
- 1 cup skim milk shopping list
- 1 bowl with water shopping list
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional) shopping list
- fresh cracked pepper shopping list
- warm toast or biscuits for serving shopping list
- poached eggs if you wish to serve it like 'eggs benedict' shopping list
How to make it
- In bowl with water or under running water, rinse chipped beef to remove any excess salt during its curing process.
- Slice or pull apart with hands the chipped beef.
- Place chipped beef in skillet or pot, and add butter.
- Let chipped beef sautée and get a little crispy on its edges.
- Sprinkler flour over melted butter and chipped beef to make a roux
- Add milk slowly and with spoon stir and cook until thickened.
- If too thick for your liking, add a little more milk to thin it out.
- Serve it up over warm toast, biscuits or even a poached egg on a buttered english muffin for that eggs benedict look.
- Pour chipped beef with 'gravy' over eggs, biscuits, toast
- Sprinkle top with fresh cracked pepper and optional cayenne
- Serve at once, and watch the plates get licked up!
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating5 people
Awesome dish, a family favorite of ours too. Thanks for the memory.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Hmmm, you drew me back in with this one....what is it about childhood comfort foods when you are sad? I really need to make this soon. Just for the comfort factor alone.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
I love this, thanks ;)hayleesgrandma in Waldron loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!