Grandma Nelles Creamed Chipped BeefFrom divaliscious 7 years ago
- 1 package of dried chipped beef - usually found by the bacon in your grocery store. I prefer packaged versus in a jar shopping list
- 1-2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1-2 tablespoons flour (start with one tablespoon) shopping list
- 1 cup skim milk shopping list
- 1 bowl with water shopping list
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional) shopping list
- fresh cracked pepper shopping list
- warm toast or biscuits for serving shopping list
- poached eggs if you wish to serve it like 'eggs benedict' shopping list
How to make it
- In bowl with water or under running water, rinse chipped beef to remove any excess salt during its curing process.
- Slice or pull apart with hands the chipped beef.
- Place chipped beef in skillet or pot, and add butter.
- Let chipped beef sautée and get a little crispy on its edges.
- Sprinkler flour over melted butter and chipped beef to make a roux
- Add milk slowly and with spoon stir and cook until thickened.
- If too thick for your liking, add a little more milk to thin it out.
- Serve it up over warm toast, biscuits or even a poached egg on a buttered english muffin for that eggs benedict look.
- Pour chipped beef with 'gravy' over eggs, biscuits, toast
- Sprinkle top with fresh cracked pepper and optional cayenne
- Serve at once, and watch the plates get licked up!
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating5 people
I love this stuff. It has been years since I have had it, but am going to make it for sure since you brought back a great childhood memory. Great post. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Love it....:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
I love this, thanks ;)hayleesgrandma in Waldron loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!