Haussners Famous Strawberry PieFrom crabhappychick 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring shopping list
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1 pie crust, 9 " prebaked shopping list
- 1 1/2 pints strawberries, washed and hulled, halved shopping list
- whipped cream, for decorating shopping list
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 3 egg yolks shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla shopping list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened shopping list
How to make it
- Begin by making a glaze: Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil and add sugar, strawberry extract, and red food coloring. Add dissolved cornstarch and stir over medium-high heat until mixture thickens. Remove from stove and set aside to cool.
- To make pastry cream: Scald milk in saucepan and set aside. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until light in color and very thick, then beat in the flour. Pour the warm milk slowly into the egg mixture and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring with a whisk until mixture comes to a boil. It will appear lumpy at first; keep whisking. Make sure mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and butter.
- Cover surface with buttered wax paper so it does not form a skin. Allow to cool. Pastry cream can be kept in the refrigerator for several days or it may be frozen. Spread the prepared pastry cream in the bottom of the prebaked pie shell. Pour in 1/2 pint of strawberries, cover with 1/2 the water-sugar glaze, add remaining strawberries and cover with the remaining glaze. Decorate edges with a circle of whipped cream and sprinkle with slivered almonds. Chill and serve.
- For those of you who remember Haussner's this will bring back wonderful memories. For those of you who have never been to Hausner's, this will make wonderful NEW memories!