Almond Joy CandyFrom jemison 7 years ago
How to make it
- Line two large cookie sheets with waxed paper.
- Set a large wire cooling rack on the paper; set aside.
- Place the coconut in a large bowl; set aside.
- Place corn syrup in a 1-cup glass measureing cup.
- Microwave on high (100%) 1 minute or until syrup boils.
- Immediately pour over coconut.
- Work warm syrup into coconut using the back of a wooden spoon until coconut is thoroughly coated.
- This takes a little time, and yes, there is enough syrup.
- Using 1 level tablespoon of coconut, shape into a ball by squeezing coconut firmly in palm of one hand, then rolling between both palms.
- HINT: Measure out all of the coconut then roll into balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on wire racks.
- Let dry 10 minutes.
- Reroll coconut balls so there are no loose ends of coconut sticking up.
- Place milk chocolate and shortening in a 4-cup glass measureing cup or 1 1/2 quart microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture can be stirred smooth and is glossy; stirring once or twice.
- Working quickly, spoon 1 level tablespoon of the chocolate over each coconut ball, making sure chocolate coats and letting excess chocolate drip down onto waxed paper.
- While chocolate coating is still soft, lightly press 1 almond on top of each.
- Let stand to set or place in refrigerator.
- Store in a single layer in air-tight container.
- Keeps best if refrigerated. Makes 26.