Chicken Schnitzel with Roquefort GravyFrom breezeatdawn 5 years ago
- For Chicken: shopping list
- 4 fresh chicken breasts, 1/4” maximum thickness (pound each breast between waxed paper with mallet into thin cutlets) shopping list
- 1/2 c. flour shopping list
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten shopping list
- 1/2 c. Dry bread crumbs shopping list
- vegetable oil shopping list
- For Sauce: shopping list
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter shopping list
- 1/3 c. finely chopped shallots shopping list
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/3 c. dry white wine shopping list
- 2/3 c. crumbled Roquefort cheese (about 3 ounces) shopping list
- 1/3 c. (or more) whipping cream shopping list
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped (I prefer crimini but white button will do) shopping list
How to make it
- For Chicken:
- Dredge meat in flour, dip into eggs and coat on both sides with bread crumbs. Set aside to dry.
- Pour oil into a fry pan to fill about 1/4 inch and heat on medium-high heat.
- Fry schnitzel to a golden brown, turning only once.
- For Sauce:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add flour and stir 1 minute. Gradually mix in wine. Boil until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Gradually add Roquefort and stir until melted and smooth. Add 1/4 c. whipping cream and simmer until thickened to sauce consistency, about 2 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. (can be prepared 1 day ahead, cover and refrigerate).
- I recommend serving chicken and sauce with Spaetzle, German potato dumplings, which might be found at your favorite grocer (at mine it's near the instant potatoes).