Chicken And Sweet PotatoFrom jencathen 6 years ago
- 1 chicken, 3 1/2-4 lb, cut into serving pieces (I've been know to just buy boneless skinless breast and thigh meat also) shopping list
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 or 3 sweet potatoes, 1 1/2 -2 lb, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2" slices shopping list
- 8-10 shallots, cut crosswise into thin slices shopping list
- 1/2 cup pure apple juice shopping list
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth shopping list
- 6-8 sage leaves (use fresh only) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
How to make it
- Position rack in the middle of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F
- Butter a large baking dish or pan that will hold the chicken and potatoes in a single layer.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heal, melt 2 tbsp of butter with the oil. When foaming, add half of the chicken and quickly sear until golden, 4-5 mintues on each side. Transfer to the prepared dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Arrange the potato slices among the meat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the shallots. Sauté until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add half each of the apple juice and stock and stir, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a boil and pour over the chicken and potatoes. Tuck the sage leaves around the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the potatoes and chicken are tender, 45-50 minutes. THe meat should be opaque througout. Using a slotted sppon, transfer the chicken and potatoes to a serving dish and cover to keep warm. Using a large spoon, skim off the fat form the juice and pour the juices into a pitcher.
- Inn a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Add flour and cook, stirring, until bubly, 1-2 minutes. Raise the heat to medium. Stirring constantly, gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup apple juice and stock and pan juices. Stir until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, 3-4 minutes. Add the cream and cook for a few seconds. Thin, if desired, with apple juice or stock. Adjust seasonings to taste. Pour the sauce over the chicken and potatoes and serve.
The Cookjencathen TX
The Rating3 people
Sounds very good! Got my 5!auntybea in Vernon loved it
Dee-lightful!!!! Thank you for sharing!pat2me in Nashua loved it
Made this last night to rave reviews from even the picky eaters in the family!! The sauce at the end has a nice consistency and a hint of apples to the flavouring which really went well with the chicken and sweet potatoes...ariadnebarzane in Phoenix loved it