Apple Cake from GrandmaFrom chacha 8 years ago
- 5 Tbsp. plus 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 ounces (4 Tbsp./1/2 stick/56 grams) unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 2 medium golden delicious apples (about 1 pound. 3 ounces) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
- Coat the bottom of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking oil spray.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar over the bottom of the pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together the butter and the 1/4 cup of sugar until light. One minute with a stand mixer or two minutes with a hand held mixer.
- By hand, stir in one-third of the flour mixture and then one-third of the milk mixture just until mixed.
- Add the remaining flour and milk in 2 additions.
- Spread the batter in the skillet. It will be thick and a little sticky.
- If difficult to spread, wet the back of a spoon or ends of your fingers to push the batter out to the edges.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Cut them in slices 1/8 inch thick.
- Starting from the outer edge of the cake, arrange the apples in concentric circles, slightly overlapping over the top of the batter, completely covering it. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle it over the apples.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen the edges and bottom of the cake, from the pan using a large metal spatula.
- Place a large plate on the top of the cake.
- Invert the pan and plate together, then remove the pan.
- Place another plate on top of the cake and invert again so it is right-side up.
- Makes 8 servings.
The Cookchacha New York, NY
The Rating4 people
Fantastic!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Perfect for this time of year in NY State.
Thank you Chacha.
Jo & Leejolielives in The Catskill Plateau loved it