Pierogi With Cabbage FillingFrom lor 7 years ago
- Dough: shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk 375 mL shopping list
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar 10 mL shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt 5 mL shopping list
- 2-1/2 pkg. (each 8 g) active dry yeast 2-1/2 shopping list
- (or 2 Tbsp. / 25 mL) shopping list
- 4 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 6 cups (approx.) all-purpose flour 1.5 L shopping list
- 1 cup butter, melted 250 mL shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded shopping list
- (about 12 cups/3 L) shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter, divided 125 mL shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil 30 mL shopping list
- 3 onions, chopped 3 shopping list
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. milk 15 mL shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. granulated sugar 1 mL shopping list
- Garnish: shopping list
- Fry 4 slices of bacon until crisp. Crumble and sprinkle over top. shopping list
How to make it
- In large bowl, combine milk, sugar and salt. Sprinkle with yeast and let stand for about 10 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in eggs. Whisk in 2 cups (500 mL) flour to make a smooth paste. Gradually knead in an additional 3 cups (750 mL) flour to make a soft dough. Still working in a bowl, gradually knead in melted butter (this will be messy, but it will get incorporated). Continue to knead and add more flour as necessary to make soft, but not sticky dough, about 30 minutes. Cover and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- To Make The Filling:
- Fill a large pot with water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Stir in shredded cabbage and return to boil. Cook and drain cabbage well.
- In large skillet, heat half of butter and the oil over medium-high heat. Place cabbage in skillet, stirring for about 15 minutes or until softened and dried. Allow to cool.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat. Cook, onions, stirring, until softened and browned. Let cool.
- In large bowl, combine cabbage, onions and hard-boiled eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Punch down dough and divide in half. On floured surface, roll out one-half of dough to a rectangle about 2 inches (5 cm) larger than baking sheet. Place on 17 x 11 inch (45 x 29 cm) rimmed baking sheet, letting excess dough hang over edges. Spread filling evenly over dough. Roll out remaining dough to a rectangle the same size as pan and place over filling. Pull bottom edges over top dough and pinch to seal. Poke dough all over with a fork.
- In small bowl, combine milk with sugar. Brush over dough. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool. Cut into squares.
- Makes 12 squares.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating7 people
wonderful recipe thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Oh Cool! I've been looking for a recipe for perogis. I love them! I've only had potato perogis, but this sounds yummy! Thanks for posting it!morninlite in Kalamazoo loved it
This is unique! Never heard of pan pierogi. Ingredients are lovely, saving this one to try.theiris in Garden City loved it