Coconut BrittleFrom divaliscious 5 years ago
- 2 cups white sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup shopping list
- 2/3 cup water shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 cup shredded coconut shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 1 cookie sheet with sides shopping list
- One pot with high sides to cook brittle in shopping list
- candy thermometer (or wide glass of iced water to check for candy stages) shopping list
How to make it
- Combine corn syrup, water and sugar in pot on top of stove on low heat.
- Stir till sugar has completely dissolved.
- Once sugar has dissolved, cook without stirring to hard ball stage - 265 degrees.
- Add salt and butter and continue to brittle stage - 300 degrees (if you are using the iced water method to check for candy stage, brittle stage is when you pour a little of the mixture into the water, it creates threads that easily break when you pull it out of the water)
- While this mixture is cooking on stove, toast up shredded coconut in oven on cookie sheet. Take out and let cool.
- Remove brittle mixture from heat, carefully add coconut and vanilla extract and stir till combined.
- Next, grease up cookie sheet with butter, an pour brittle mixture into cookie sheet.
- When cool enough to handle brittle, take by the edges and stretch into a thin sheet.
- When brittle is completely cooled, break it up into irregular pieces.
- You can also add toasted or even roasted chopped mixed nuts or just one type of nut like cashews for an amazing extra flavor!
- Makes 1 pound.
People Who Like This Dish 17
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating6 people
OOOOOOh... yesyesyesyesyes!!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
sounds yummy... love coconut...peetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
This looks really good. A nice change from the nutty ones.morninlite in Kalamazoo loved it