Eating Wells King Ranch CasseroleFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, reduced-sodium, defatted shopping list
- 1 cup skim milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt, plain shopping list
- 1 can tomatoes, drained and chopped shopping list
- 1 can chopped green chiles, 4 oz. size, drained shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chili powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 cups chicken, diced skinless cooked shopping list
- 10 corn tortillas, cut in quarters shopping list
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, reduced fat, shredded (sorry, I use regular at this point!) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375. In a saucepan, bring chicken stock to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk milk into cornstarch to make a smooth paste. Add to the chicken stock and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt, tomatoes, chiles,k cilantro, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, red peppers, and garlic; saute for about 3 minutes until tender crisp. Set aside.
- Line bottom of a shallow 3-qt. baking dish with half the tortillas. Scatter half the chicken and half the onion mixture over the top. Spoon half the sauce evenly over the top. Top with another layer of tortillas, the remaining chicken, onion mixture, and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it is bubbly.
The Cookcrabhappychick Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating4 people
This sounds great! Thanks:)raelene1951 in Brighton loved it
You are one good cook.chihuahua in Sonoma County loved it
Love King Ranch Casserole! Absolutely one of our favorites! Nice twist with less calories!rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it