Grandmas Haluski- Potato DumplingsFrom midgelet 7 years ago
How to make it
- Cut up bacon in bite size pieces and fry with chopped onion .
- Meanwhile, put on large pot of water to boil.
- Peel potatoes, cut and grind up in a blender (If the mixture is too dry
- to blend, add the egg).
- In a large bowl, gradually mix flour with potato mush until loose
- batter is formed.
- Put a large scoop of the batter on a flat surface (I use the bottom of
- a springform pan).
- Holding the flat surface in one hand, use a fork with the other,
- pushing finger-size dumplings in the boiling water (They will rise as
- they cook).
- Gently stir, so they don't stick.
- After the dumplings are all cooked, drain them in a large colander and put them in a large serving bowl.
- Drain sauerkraut in colander, under cold water, squeezing out excess.
- Add sauerkraut, cooked bacon and onion to dumplings.
- Mix gently.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- (An alternate version is with the dumplings mixed with drained cottage cheese and melted butter. Very yummy too!).
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating7 people
Yumm! I love this food! Thanks!
:}tippystclair in North Hollywood loved it
Great recipe Midgelet! Haven't had this in ages. Thanks so much for including it in the group.chacha in New York loved it
These are very good. They serve these at a German restaurant here in down and it is a very popular item. Great post. You have my 5.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Bacon Natures Candy75 members
Pass Down Recipes314 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together134 members
Family Favorites140 members
Older Really Is Better24 members
Easy And Delicious86 members
International Dishes43 members
Easy But Darn Good80 members
Fabulous Sides25 members
World Wide Cuisine50 members