Swissed Beef Steak In Sour Cream GravyFrom craftyazgirl 8 years ago
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 Ibs. beef round steak shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. dry mustard shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 large onion, sliced shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced celery shopping list
- 2 large carrots, pared, diced shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- Trim fat and bone from meat. Cut into large square pieces; lay on plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Mix flour, mustard, salt, thyme and pepper. Sprinkle all of it over meat on both sides.
- Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Pound meat using mallet until flour is worked into meat and does not fall off when meat pieces are picked up.
- Heat butter and oil in heavy casserole or Dutch oven. Brown meat pieces on both sides. Add tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots and brown sugar.
- Cover and simmer or bake at 325°F for 1>2 hrs. or until very tender.: (Long slow cooking is the best way to tenderize less tender cuts of meat; be sure to brown meat slowly and simmer at a low temperature to prevent stringiness).
- Stir sour cream into gravy just before serving..