Ham and Green BeansFrom crabhappychick 6 years ago
- 1 ham bone, with lots of ham on it shopping list
- 1 pound fresh green beans, stem end snapped off, or 1 pound of frozen shopping list
- 4 stalks celery, WITH leaves or more to taste shopping list
- 3 onions, cut in 1/2" strips shopping list
- 3 pounds potatoes, cut into chunks - skins on! shopping list
- herbes de provence, to taste, maybe 4 tablespoons shopping list
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt, Janes Crazy Mixed Up Salt, of course,or more to taste shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup garlic, dried, slivered - get in Oriental market or in Costco shopping list
How to make it
- Put ham and bone in large soup pot, add celery, garlic, onion and cover all with water. Simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours. Add rest of ingredients except potatoes, adding more water, if necessary. Cook another hour or so and take ham and bone out of pot. Remove all ham and return to pot, discarding bone. Add potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender. Adjust seasonings and serve.
- NOTE: The dried slivered garlic I use is a fantastic time saver. I use it in soups and stew and things that have a lot of liquid.