SfogliatelleFrom cholena 5 years ago
- Dough : shopping list
- 2 C plain flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/3 C shortening , cut shopping list
- 1/3 C shortening , melted shopping list
- water shopping list
- 1 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- Filling : shopping list
- 2/3 C ricotta cheese shopping list
- 2/3 C confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- Few tbsps candied citrus zest shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 egg white and melted shortening, for brushing shopping list
- confectioners' sugar for dusting shopping list
How to make it
- Sift flour and salt and turn into bowl.
- Rub the shortening with fingers .
- Add enough water just enough to hold the mixture together like noodle dough and continue to knead .
- Make balls and chill for 30 minutes .
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough very thin until you form a square about 1/8-inch thick.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 3 large evenly sized rectangles .
- Using a brush, spread melted shortening generously and evenly over one strip, top with second strip and spread with shortening.
- Repeat with the third and fourth strips, separating each strip by a layer of shortening.
- Let shortening cool and set.
- Roll the four strips together like jelly roll, starting from shorter end.
- Wrap in wax paper and chill 15 mins.
- Now , cut roll into 6 pcs which will look like rolls of ribbon .
- Now to make room for a pocket of filling .
- On lightly floured board , place a rolling pin in the center of slice and roll out from center to left and then to right.
- Then slice into larger and thinner oval shape.
- Gently roll again from center toward top and then to bottom with one stroke .
- Placed prepared oval on lightly floured board, rolled side down.
- Repeat the same for the other too .....
- Pre heat oven at 200 deg C .
- Combine the ricotta , 3/4 of the sugar, 1 egg yolk and the candied citrus zest and mix until well combined .
- Divide the filling amongst 3 dough rectangles, placing 2 tbsp of the filling in the center of each rectangle. Cover each topped rectangle with an unused piece of dough, wet the edges of dough with a little egg white and fold over filling, bringing narrow edges together to form a shell-like shape.
- Brush each shell with melted shortening and abit the egg wash lightly over the top .
- Bake about 15 minutes .
- Brush more melted shortening over shells using light, gentle strokes .
- Bake another 20 minutes at 180 deg C .
- Brush again with shortening.
- It will puff up to golden and will form shell layers .
- Cool for 10 mins .
- Dust with sugar.
People Who Like This Dish 13
The Cookcholena Food World, Sin
The Rating7 people
wow!!!looks amazing...expert baker....nice day...angieaugusta in Adelaide loved it
WOW!!!mumtazcatering in Gauteng loved it
I adore these!!!!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!