Best Curry Youll Ever MakeFrom busmamawilliams 8 years ago
- 2 lbs. stew beef (you can use chicken, pork cubes, any meat you wish) shopping list
- 1/2 cup hara masala ( recipe below ) shopping list
- 8 dry garbanzo beans ( chick peas ); soaked for 1/2 hour shopping list
- 8 cashews shopping list
- 7 almonds shopping list
- 12 peanuts shopping list
- 1 Tablesp. whole coriander seed shopping list
- 1 Tablesp. whole cumin seed shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seed shopping list
- 1 Tablesp. sesame seed shopping list
- 1 and 1/2 teasps. paprika shopping list
- 1/2 of a fresh coconut; sliced into small pieces shopping list
- 1 onion shopping list
- 6 fresh curry leaves ( also called Neem leaves; found in Indo/Pak grocery stores ) shopping list
- 4 each of following whole spices: cloves, peppercorns, small pieces cinnamon stick, seeds only of 4 cardamom pods shopping list
- 1 Tablesp. coriander powder shopping list
- 1 Tablesp. cumin powder shopping list
- 1/4 teasp. allspice powder shopping list
- 1/2 cup veg. oil shopping list
- 5cups hot water shopping list
How to make it
- 1) to make hara masala: combine in a blender: 1 small bunch fresh coriander leaves,6 fresh mint leaves,2 seeded jalapeno or serrano peppers, 1 clove garlic ,1-inch piece fresh ginger-root; minced & 3/4 teasp. salt. Blend to a thickish paste, adding a bit of water ,as necessary.
- 2) In a large pot place the hara masala , meat & 4 cups of hot water. Boil over medium heat until just tender. Set aside.
- 3) To blender add the following: soaked garbanzos (no liquid),all the nuts, coriander, cumin ,poppy & sesame seeds & the paprika. Grind to fine powdery-paste. (You will have to stop blender several times & scrape down & move around mixture).
- 4) heat 1/2 the oil in medium frying pan & fry curry leaves,whole spices, ground coriander & cumin, allspice powder & the coconut pieces. Fry for 5 or 6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 5) Bake the onion slices for 10 minutes in 350 degree F. oven.
- 6) Cool fried mixture a little then put in blender, along with onion & blend well.
- 7) Combine in a large, ovenproof pot, the two blended mixtures, along with 4 cups of stock from boiling meat,&the oil from frying the spices.
- 8) Add meat back into pot, along with quartered potatoes, if desired, & bake in 350 degree F. oven for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. When serving garnish with chopped cilantro, Serve with steamed rice or chappaties or nan.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookbusmamawilliams Clifton, NJ
The Rating6 people
looks so good! I like the exact count of each nut - some things really are better "just so";)
Right now though, Tiger Tiger (in a jar at the store) makes my curries and other Indian recipes.
(Indian food is so much more appealing to me when...moremintymommybee in Anderson loved it
Gorgeous curry recipe...greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Interesting! I make an American version of the Indian Curry but I have never but beans or nuts in mine. I will have to check this one out! Thanks for the great post!dmajor in Slidell loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!