Ho-ho CupcakesFrom krumkake 8 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- *If you’re really in a hurry, use a boxed cake mix instead of this homemade one. shopping list
- ½ cup butter shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- ½ cup any cooking oil (I’ve never tried olive oil) shopping list
- 4 tablespoons cocoa shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- ½ cup sour cream or buttermilk shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- ½ cup half-and-half or whole milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 cup solid shortening (regular, not the buttery flavored, and you really can’t substitute butter for the shortening…it doesn’t give the same end result) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon water shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1½ to 2 cups powdered sugar (enough to make filling thick enough) shopping list
- Frosting: shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half or whole milk shopping list
- 1½ cups milk chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips, depending on your preference shopping list
How to make it
- For the cake, mix butter, water, oil and cocoa in a medium saucepan.
- Cook until butter is melted, stirring constantly.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add some of the cooked mixture to the beaten eggs to temper the eggs, then stir it into the saucepan mixture.
- Immediately beat in the sugar.
- Mix flour and baking soda together, adding the flour mixture to saucepan alternately with the sour cream, whisking ingredients together well.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners, and fill them 2/3 full of cake batter (I THINK it makes about 18 cupcakes, but it’s been several years since I’ve made these, so I’m not absolutely certain about the quantity – have 24 tins ready, just in case I’m off!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 24 minutes, until they test done.
- Remove pans from oven and take cupcakes out of tins to cool on wire racks.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before filling and frosting.
- While cupcakes are baking and cooling, prepare the filling and frosting.
- For the filling, beat sugar, half-and-half or milk, vanilla, solid shortening, water and salt for 5 minutes…the mixture should be very light and fluffy.
- Beat in enough powdered sugar until the filling is a consistency that is solid enough to hold its shape when scooped onto the cupcake, and won’t run off of it.
- Prepare the frosting by placing the sugar, butter and milk into a medium saucepan and bringing it to a boil; boil for 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, beating by hand until they are melted and frosting is thick and shiny.
- To assemble, have the same amount of CLEAN cupcake liners available to equal how many cupcakes you baked.
- Remove a cupcake from the cupcake liner it was baked in; cut the muffin in half lengthwise (side-to-side, not top to bottom).
- Place the bottom of the cupcake in a clean cupcake liner.
- Scoop a generous dollop of the filling over the cupcake bottom half.
- Frost the top half of the cupcake and place it on the filling.
- DONE…unless you’re into decorating the tops of your cupcakes, but these really don’t need anything else on them – they are quite rich enough!
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating6 people
Another professional treat Krum...Thanks for sharing with us.ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
This sounds sooo good. And 80s were not so far away! Great times, good music and obviously, good food!elgab89 in Toronto loved it
Looking good as usual. I can't wait to try these out. Im sure I will have a few more cake walks to bake for in my life..this one will be great to take! Thanks Krum.michellem in Idaho loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!