Boiled Sausage And Vegetable DinnerFrom donman 6 years ago
- 2 1/2 pounds smoked sausage shopping list
- 1 2 pound ham hock shopping list
- 4 large potatoes, cleaned and cut into large chunks shopping list
- 3 celery stalks, leaves removed and cut into large chunks shopping list
- 6 turnips, peeled and cut into large chunks shopping list
- 6 carrots, cleaned and cut into large chunks shopping list
- 2 onions cut into large chunks shopping list
- 1 large head cabbage, quartered and core removed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of creole seasoning mix shopping list
- 1 quart water shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add sausage and ham hocks, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes (to reduce the amount of fat).
- Drain, and set aside.
- In the large pot, arrange potatoes, celery, turnips, carrots and onions.
- Quarter cabbage and add to pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place sausage and ham hocks on top.
- Pour in water.
- Seal pot with aluminum foil and then cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Note: Any combination of fresh hardy vegetables can be used.