Jamaican Festivals - Fried BreadFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- . shopping list
- 2 cups flour, unbleached all-purpose shopping list
- 1/4 cup cornmeal shopping list
- 3 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted, chilled shopping list
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk, or more as needed shopping list
- 2 cups peanut oil for frying, or as needed shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in the butter, using two knives.
- Alternatively, mix the ingredients in a food processor fitted with a chopping blade.
- The mixture should feel crumbly, like sand.
- Add enough evaporated milk to obtain a stiff but pliable dough.
- Stir just to mix.
- Pinch off walnut-size pieces of dough and roll them between your palms to make long thin ropes.
- You should have about 24, each one about 10 inches long and 1/4 inch thick.
- Fold the ropes in half and twist them together.
- . Place the oil in a deep-fat fryer or large, deep skillet.
- Heat over medium-high heat until it reaches 350°F.
- Gently and carefully lower the festivals into the oil and fry, turning with a slotted spoon, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes in all.
- Transfer the festivals to paper towels to drain and serve while still hot.
- Makes about 24 festivals; serves 4 to 6