Southern Baked Tomato CasseroleFrom chefjeb 7 years ago
- 8-10 large, very ripe tomatoes shopping list
- 1/4 tsp sugar shopping list
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 rib celery, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced ( or 1 1/2 tsp minced) shopping list
- salt and black pepper to taste shopping list
- pinch whie pepper shopping list
- 2 cups bread crumbs, divided use shopping list
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese (optional) shopping list
- 1/2 lb browned ground beef if using as main dish shopping list
How to make it
- Peel, seed and coursely chop tomatoes (Seeding is optional)
- Mix in sugar
- If using ground beef, this is where you mix in browned beef.
- add peppers, onion, garlic, celery and saute for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add pinch of white pepper.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs or enough to make dressing fairly stiff
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter casserole dish and pour in tomato mixture
- Top with remaining bread crumbs and Parmesan
- Bake about 30 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Note: This can be made ahead and frozen, until readys to bake.