Moms Ripe Tomato CatsupFrom noir 6 years ago
- 4 quarts ripe tomatoes (different color tomatoes will give different color catchup) *Be sure to peel, chop, and core your tomatoes before you start* shopping list
- 1 large onion - chopped shopping list
- 1 medium red pepper (or green...chopped) shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoon celery seed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice shopping list
- 1 large cinnamon stick shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar shopping list
- Have a little salt and paprika on hand. shopping list
- Jars with Lids shopping list
How to make it
- Put tomatoes, onions, and pepper in pot and cook until soft. Press mixture through a sieve. Cook rapidly until thick. Around an hour.
- Reduce heat.
- Tie all whole spices in a cheesecloth bag and drop into pot. Add sugar and salt to mix.
- Cook on low about 25 minutes, stir frequently. Don't let ketchup stick to bottom of the pan.
- Now add your vinegar, paprika, and cook until thick. Again, stir often so ketchup doesn't stick to bottom of pan.
- Mixture should be boiling hot when you put into jars as usual, leave a little room at the top. Make sure your jar lid pops when you seal.
- Note - if you grow everything yourself, it will taste better. Try it!
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cooknoir Boston, MA
The Rating7 people
OMG.. years.. and I mean years ago.. I helped husbands aunt make Catsup...This sounds just like her recipe... I loved it. I am bookmarking this. If I get some good tomatoes this winter.. will try. Thanks!linebb956 in La Feria loved it
Wow!shuga in United States loved it
Thank you Mama! *wink*pink in USA loved it